Teaching in Los Angeles
As the Chef de Bureau in
The Civil Servants
A scene from That is to Say...
As the Chanteur in
Lunatics at the Opera
Lorin Eric Salm "is a very talented mime, disciplined, very dedicated and constant."
"The artists deeply appreciated your philosophy and work. Several of them have made choices in the show directly as a result of your teaching."
Director of Casting – Resident & Theatre Shows
Cirque du Soleil
"Lorin Eric Salm presented one of the most extraordinary and helpful workshops for our animators that we ever could have imagined.."
Mark Dindal, Director, and Randy Fullmer, Producer
Chicken Little and The Emperor's New Groove
Walt Disney Feature Animation
"He was a great coach. Helped me make my stand up more expressive and animated. He is fun to work with."
With thirty years experience in Theatrical Mime and theatre, Lorin Eric Salm brings an approach to the art little known in the United States. He views mime as a theatrical art, using the magic of illusion and the power of silence to create comic and dramatic physical performance for the stage.
Lorin Eric Salm was trained by the world-renowned master of mime Marcel Marceau, and is a graduate of Marceau’s Paris International School of Mimodrama (3-year program). Lorin studied Corporeal Mime under former Etienne Decroux assistants Corinne Soum and Steven Wasson, and former Decroux student Ivan Bacciocchi, and also studied with Polish mime master Stefan Niedzialkowski, and holds a B.A. in Theatre Arts from California State University, Northridge.
Lorin has performed in Paris with Marcel Marceau and in his own one-man show C'est-à-dire . . . (That is to Say . . .), as well as in Israel, New York, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles. In addition to acting work in theatre, film, and television, he is a character movement reference actor and performance capture (motion capture) actor for animated films and television series.
Lorin has taught Mime Theatre to mime artists, actors, improvisers, dancers, comedians, storytellers, magicians, circus performers, jugglers, singers, and other performers, both student and professional, and has been a recurring guest instructor for Cirque du Soleil's Las Vegas productions. He has also taught mime and character movement skills to animators at Walt Disney Feature Animation, DreamWorks Animation, and Sony Pictures Imageworks, working with the teams that created the feature films Shrek (DreamWorks), Chicken Little (Disney), and Dinosaur (Disney). Based in Los Angeles, he is a frequent mime coach and movement coach and consultant to the Hollywood film and television industries.
Lorin has become a world resource for the international mime theatre community by his authorship and administration of The World of Mime Theatre, the Internet’s premier mime website. His efforts continue to further international appreciation of Mime Theatre, and have earned him the recognition of mime professionals and enthusiasts around the world.
|Some of the places Lorin has taught or lectured:
||Some of the artists Lorin has coached in his work:
- Cirque du Soleil
- The School for Theatre Creators (currently on faculty)
- Walt Disney Feature Animation
- DreamWorks Animation
- Sony Pictures Imageworks
- Rhythm & Hues Studios
- Bento Box Entertainment
- California Institute for the Arts
- Ohio State University Advanced Computing Center for the Arts and Design (ACCAD)
- UCLA Dept. of Art
- California State Polytechnic University Pomona Dept. of Music
- Queensland University of Technology Depts. of Animation, Dance, and Creative Industries — Brisbane, Australia
- Ann Arbor Mime Workshop
- Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum
- iO West Theater
- Pasadena Civic Ballet Center
- California State Univ., Northridge TADW Theatre Workshop
- Los Angeles County High School for the Arts
- The Colburn School of Performing Arts
- Beverly Hills High School Dept. of Theatre
- El Camino Real High School Dept. of Theatre
- Vonder Haar Center for the Performing Arts
- CTN Animation Expo
- Bridges Institute of Visual Arts
- Elisabeth Brooks Acting Workshops
- Classical Theatre Lab Los Angeles
- SlapCon Los Angeles Slapstick Convention
- SOL-LA Music Academy
- Cate School
- Damon Wayans - Actor, Comedian
- Shawn Wayans - Actor, Comedian
- Radha Mitchell - Actress (Surrogates, Silent Hill)
- Ben Feldman - Actor (Superstore, Mad Men)
- John Hensley - Actor (Nip/Tuck)
- Caterina Scorsone - Actress (Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice)
- Karine Vanasse - Actress (Revenge, Pan Am)
- Pierce Gagnon - Actor (Extant, Looper)
- Judith Shekoni - Actress (Heroes Reborn, The Twilight Saga)
- Todd Stashwick - Actor (Heroes, The Riches)
- Ravi Kapoor - Actor (Crossing Jordan)
- Dana Wilson - Dancer, Choreographer (Justin Timberlake, Cirque du Soleil's Criss Angel Believe)
- Michael Grasso - Magician (Finalist, America's Got Talent)
- Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu - U.S. Figure Skating Team